While I like some mindless reading every now and then, by and large I prefer self-development books or ones that otherwise give me something to think about.
A friend asked me a while back if there were books I would recommend she read as she works on making some changes in her life. I have listed my favorite books below; these are ones that have been most influential on how I operate (or try to operate) my life.
Many of these books could be categorized multiple ways, but I made an attempt to organize them in the way that made the most sense to me. I've included links to learn more about the books or authors. I would imagine all of these are available through your library or on Amazon.com. I also like half.com for book purchases, just fyi.
- The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here For? by Rick Warren
- Where Will You be 5 Years From Today? by Dan Zandra
- The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Naturally Thin: Unleash Your Skinny Girl and Free Yourself From a Lifetime of Dieting by Bethenny Frankel
- The Skinny Girl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life by Bethenny Frankel
- First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham
- Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton
- Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance by Marcus Buckingham
- The Truth About You: Your Secret to Success by Marcus Buckingham
- Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Strengths-Based Leadership by Tom Rath and Barry Conchie
- Secret's of Closing the Sale by Zig Ziglar
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don't by Jim Collins
- Good to Great and the Social Sectors by Jim Collins
- E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a Worldclass Company by Michael Gerber
- The Daily Drucker by Peter Drucker
Books that make you go hmmmm....:
- Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner
- Epic Ain't Easy by Jed Dunham