My 12 New Things


Sunday, October 17, 2010

How To Do Everything Better...

Let others do the heavy lifting for you- read a book. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. Somewhere out there someone is an expert at what you need to learn.

While I like some mindless reading every now and then, by and large I prefer self-development books or ones that otherwise give me something to think about.

A friend asked me a while back if there were books I would recommend she read as she works on making some changes in her life. I have listed my favorite books below; these are ones that have been most influential on how I operate (or try to operate) my life.

Many of these books could be categorized multiple ways, but I made an attempt to organize them in the way that made the most sense to me. I've included links to learn more about the books or authors. I would imagine all of these are available through your library or on Amazon.com. I also like half.com for book purchases, just fyi.

Life/ Lifestyle:
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here For? by Rick Warren
  • Where Will You be 5 Years From Today? by Dan Zandra
  • The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel
  • The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
  • Naturally Thin: Unleash Your Skinny Girl and Free Yourself From a Lifetime of Dieting by Bethenny Frankel
  • The Skinny Girl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life by Bethenny Frankel
Career Development:
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance by Marcus Buckingham
  • The Truth About You: Your Secret to Success by Marcus Buckingham
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham
Business Development:
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
  • Strengths-Based Leadership by Tom Rath and Barry Conchie
  • Secret's of Closing the Sale by Zig Ziglar
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don't by Jim Collins
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors by Jim Collins
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a Worldclass Company by Michael Gerber
  • The Daily Drucker by Peter Drucker

Books that make you go hmmmm....:


What are you reading? Share with me your thoughts on these books or others!


2 comments:

  1. Have you read "how to read a book" by Mortimer Adler? He is one of my husband's favorite authors. My husband is a Philosophy professor and that subject is too deep for me. I prefer reading for pleasure. But one of my favorite books, in addition to some of yours, is "body for life" because of the changes I was able to make while reading it. And they are changes for life, I am happy to report! --Lori Newton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lorie! I'll look into both of those books!

    ReplyDelete