My 12 New Things


Monday, October 18, 2010

If a Bomb Went Off in Kansas...


I made a comment in my New York City blog posting that if a bomb went off in Kansas that the world may not notice. My father emailed me with a few good points convincing me otherwise. Though I was referring more to the global economy than movie stars and nightlife (as my dad references), I'll have to admit he's right.

Here's what he had to say: 


Shan,


Something you, and anybody else that visits, lives and/or loves NY needs to remember is no Kansas= no food. The 1,2 3, and 4th largest meat packing plants are in KANSAS. Most of the wheat for your bagels come from KANSAS.  A very large share of milk and dairy products consumed in this country are from KANSAS. Military and civilian planes including Air-Force 1 are made in KANSAS. Also, it's no accident that one of our countries largest military bases is in KANSAS. The second largest Natural Gas Field in the world is in KANSAS. Movie stars and a great night life are ok but they contribute little to our society and wealth. Oh yeah-----a good share of my clients are from NY, trying to escape that rat race for a short time and experience KANSAS.

Dad 

P.S. You were born into a 125 yr old western ranching legacy. Not many families, even eastern ones can match that. Every rich and successful person from Forbes to Turner goes out and buys a ranch------ and not in NY. 


www.classichunts.com
Hawes Ranch Outfitters


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. Such an eloquent man :) No wonder he raised such an amazing daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom! Go Dad! LOL! Loving the controversy. You are so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenn. Carrie, isn't a little controversy fun? :)

    ReplyDelete