My 12 New Things


Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Starting New Thing #8- 10 Day Media Cleanse

One day last week I pulled into my driveway and thought how did I get here? I barely remember leaving work.

I try to live consciously and with purpose. I think before I make decisions. I set goals. I recycle.

But, far too often recently I find myself zoning out and escaping the present. I get lulled into unconsciousness by the mindlessness of my bad habits (watching too much television and screwing around on the internet) and hours later groggily coming back to consciousness. It may be a little like experiencing a roofie. Who's been roofie-ing my life? Apparently I have.

I get frustrated because I have lots of projects I'd like to finish and also feel like I have too little time to do things that I enjoy. I think, "If only I had time to hear myself think I could get something accomplished." Then I swamp my brain with a bunch of useless nonsense because I think I'm too tired to think. Ironic, isn't it? All this thinking about thinking.

I need to clear my mind of the clutter and be more purposeful with my time, so this concept will be New Thing #8. For the next 10 days I am going to do a media cleanse and here are my rules:
  • No television.
  • No movies.
  • No flipping through magazines.
  • I can only be on the internet for purposeful tasks and be on for as short amounts of time as possible.(I'm still going to allow myself to blog as that seems purposeful to me as I've had a goal to start posting more frequently).
  • I am going to keep an activity log of all the things I can get accomplished when I'm not otherwise screwing around.
This media cleanse is going to start tomorrow.... tonight I have a new episode of Kathy Griffin- My Life on the D-List to watch. I have priorities, you know.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment