My 12 New Things


Saturday, February 6, 2010

Here We Go...

In December I read a book called Where Will You Be in 5 Years? and it inspired me to think about who I ultimately want to be and what I'm currently doing about it. The book is full of great quotes. Here are a few that stuck out to me:

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein.

Live your life on purpose. The best day of your life is the day in which you decide your life is your own. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift of life is yours, it is an amazing journey and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. Life is about the choices you make- choose wisely. Choose your guiding stars- values and mission.


The book also walks you through exercises to defining your personal mission. Based on that, here is what I came to....

My top 5 values are Family, Faith, Learning, Integrity and Adventure


My personal mission statement
To make the world a better place for my grandkids and for those not fortunate enough to have me as a grandmother.

The mission statement was written a little tongue-in-cheek, but in essence, I'm looking to make a difference in not only the lives of those I love, but also people that I won't ever know.

Who are the people I like and respect the most and why
My dad- he's always dreaming big. My mom- she's always the biggest cheerleader for everyone around her. My husband- he views life with a great sense of humor and nothing ever seems to phase him for long.

In addition to answering the above questions, the book inspires goalsetting in various facets of life: Family, Spiritual, Relationships, Romance, Travel, Adventure, Charitable, Recreation, Education, Financial, Health and Career.

In this, I learned that I can't bury myself in tasks or in a book to become the well-rounded individual I ultimately want to be. It's life experiences that will guide me and therefore, I must make time for them.



I made a list of some notable experiences so far in my life that have meant something to me. I:

  • have stood on the roof of the Washington National Cathedral.
  • grew up on a ranch that my family has owned for 150+ years.
  • have visited 26 of the 50 States, Mexico and Canada.
  • attended a Pat Benetar and Blondie concert on a whim- just by showing up and asking for free tickets.
  • have visited the Grand Canyon.
  • have seen some amazing lighthouses while sailing at sunset around the Portland Bay in Portland, Maine.
  • have seen Frank Sinatra's Acapulco, Mexico home.
  • visited Canada to go shopping.
  • watched cliffdivers dive into water 30+ feet below.
  • have visted many of the museums and national memorials in Washington, D.C. a number of times.
  • have been in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
  • stood on a mountain in Colorado that my family has owned for generations.
  • tubed down a river in Tennessee.
  • sang "Puff the Magic Dragon" with Peter Yarrow from Peter, Paul and Mary.
  • watched a street artist create incredible paintings on a sidewalk in Tampa, Florida with canvas, spray paint, plates and fire.
  • worked in production on two independent films.
  • finished a Bachelor's degree by the age of 21 and Master's at 25.
At the end of my life, I want this list of life experiences and adventures, as well as my accomplishments to be what defines me rather than what house I lived in, car I drove, clothes I wore, etc.

To continue to expand my horizons and experience life that will give me perspective to accomplish the things I really want to, I have committed to exploring new things throughout 2010. I will experience one new thing a month. It has to be substantial in some way and has to push my limits no matter how uncomfortable it makes me.

Here we go...

P.S. I've also never blogged before. This experience will be new all the way around.

1 comment:

  1. awesome idea sista! :-) p.s...blogging is fun, or so i thought when i was doing it. found it to be a great extension of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete